Includes Quick Tips User Guide; Quick Tips Record Form
Diana A. Henry, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA
QuickTips is the new available resource – Once one has determined that sensory processing issues are “a piece of the puzzle” when addressing behaviour challenges, then the SPM Quick Tips takes the guessing out of what to do next.
The new SPM and SPM-P Quick Tips is a collection of strategies for integrating sensory-based activities into a child’s everyday life. It’s a navigation tool to help answer the question “what’s next?” following administration of the SPM or SPM-P.
- Offers a framework based on careful standardized assessment developed from observations across multiple environments
- Supports practitioners in using clinical reasoning and consultation skills in the intervention process
- Provides a means of measuring qualitative progress through staff responses and quantitative progress through use of the SPM or SPM-P
- Uses parent- and teacher-friendly language
- Offers valuable information to assist in making decisions about intervention strategies based on clinical reasoning
- Includes a data recording system to monitor progress
Primary users of the Quick Tips are occupational therapy practitioners in clinical, school, and community settings who have mentored with a sensory integration (SI) expert and are trained in SI and sensory processing. These practitioners can in turn teach others how to use the Quick Tips. Parents, teachers, school personnel, and other professionals can use the strategies and techniques as long as the therapy practitioner responsible for interpreting administration results provides direction.